Re: 3-10% error in nail tables

Brian Veit, P.E. wrote:

"There has been some discussion of conflicting
values in the code with respect
to nail values, which vary by 3 to 10 percent, and
the resulting problems if
liability were an issue.

Does anyone really believe that our design is so
tight that if the nails were
only 90% of what we thought they were, the design
would fail?"

The nail allowable load values differ by 3 to 32%,
not 3 to 10%.  The 3-10% referred to required
penetration. I wouldn't worry a great deal about
10% but 32% is significant!

The bigger question though is how ICBO should take
responsibility for its errors. These codes are
adopted by cities, counties and the state to
protect the public safety.  A requiste amount of
care in their accuracy or correction needs to
happen. Publishing in an obscure supplement which
we must pay outrageous prices for is not adequate,
IMHO.  Maybe there should be a registration of the
code books and notice then given to code
purchasers where errors have been made.

Bill Cain, SE
Oakland, CA