Re: 3-10% error in nail tables

BVeit(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone really believe that our design is so
> tight that if the nails were
> only 90% of what we thought they were, the
> design would fail?

But if the window installer highers a new kid and
does not supervise him properly, and the kid does
a poor job installing windows in the apartment
complex you designed, and some tenents complain
about drafty rooms and leaky window frames, and
then the aparment owners hire a lawyer, the lawyer
hires an "expert", and the expert notes that you
used the uncorrected allowable load, and then you
get sued for negligence in you design.  Now you
hire a lawyer. $10,000 later you finally manage to
get yourself dropped from the suit, but the one of
the subs (who hasn't been dropped yet) files a
cross complaint against you, and you get dragged
back in...

There is talk about defensive medicine.  Perhaps
some engineers pratice a sort of defensive
engineering?  Some times there are good
engineering reasons to design extra
conservatively, sometime there are good legal
reasons to err on the conservative side.

Stan Johnson
BS, EIT, Wow!  I'm not even a full fledged
engineer yet and I'm already getting cynical!