Re: Floor Vibrations

Chris Towne wrote:

> The building is steel frame and the problem area is steel joists on
> concrete slab.  The joists are 24 feet long and are spaced at 30".  The
> slab is 2.5" deep.

We had a high school project where the architect wanted to have
exposed metal joists in a 30' x 30' bay.  We had vibration problems
with the conventional joist design because they never carried enough
dead load to overcome the person walking by.
Our solution was to use larger, deeper joists spaced 10-feet apart.
We worked with Vulcraft to size the joists to control vibration as
well as design to be sure what we wanted to do was possible.
This wider spacing gained more dead load for our vibration
calculations and gave the architect the look they wanted.

Greg Varney
KPFF Consulting Engineers
1201 3rd Avenue, Suite 900
Seattle, Washington  98101
(206) 622-5822
email:  gregv(--nospam--at)kpff.com

When you do a good deed, get a receipt, in case
heaven is like the IRS.