RE: FIRE - Fire damage to unreinforced brick wall.

Stan,
Roger Turk and Ara Maloyan are correct in their advise. I
redesigned and retrofit a URM two story structure in Glendora
that was destroyed by fire. The roof diaphragm was destroyed,
but the second floor diaphragm was in tact.
The inside wythe of wall was weakened as well as the outside and
center wythe (13" wall) at the area closest to the roof.
Our decision was to remove the wall down to the second floor
diaphragm and rebuild it as a URM in order to preserve the
aesthetics and historic value of the building. This turned out
not to be as costly as it would seem and the bricks were cleaned
on the site and reused. Since this was a red brick building, the
availability of bricks was very good.
The final building turned out to be a showcase - although it
will always be considered a hazardous structure. It was retrofit
per UCBC standards.

Dennis Wish PE