Re: FIRE - Fire damage to unreinforced brick wall.

Amaloyan(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> ...Since the wall does not have any rebar in the middle and elevated temperature
> could
> not harm the brick I would say you are OK and all you need is to take care of
> the
> bad mortar joints and have the owners  hire you to prepare full compliance
> plans
> for seismic retrofit.
Care should be taken in this approach.  Not all brick is undamaged by
the heat of a fire.  A couple years ago I did an upgrade design to a
structure which was adjacent to a building which burned.  The common
wall between the two buildings was damaged such that the brick crumbled
in my hand.  If the brick is solid and hard I agree that it may be OK
just to repoint the brick, but be sure to determine if the brick is
still sound.
Jill T. Shuttleworth, P.E., S.E.
Anderson Engineering
Sunnyside, WA

P.S. I've never regretted taking the S.E. exam. (Although I hope I never
have to sit through another 16 hours of exam)  When reviewing structural
damage, I've found that having passed this exam helps when presenting
information to insurance adjusters.  Of course it's not the piece of
paper on the wall but the way the work is done and presented.

SEAW did some research a few years ago trying to determine a scope that
only liscenced Structural Engineers could perform.  The idea was dropped
because they did not want it to seem like the Structural Engineers
Association was trying to take all the structural work away from other
"competent" engineers.  Also they were afraid that the state would have
to grant grandfather structural engineer liscences to PE's who had tried
several times but continued to fail the SE exam.