Re: Basement Walls

My $0.02 worth:

Although I don't design many basements here, I have designed plenty of
garages cut in to a slope and three of the four walls are below grade.

1. Pinned-Pinned is tough to build since you cannot backfill until the
floor diaphragm is properly attached. I usually design as a cantilivered
wall, requiring the contractor to fully backfill and compact before
installing the floor framing. This way, the only load transferred into the
floor diaphragm is live load surcharge and whatever seismic loads the
design engineer decides exists below grade.

2. One should check with the contractor before assuming the garage slab
will resist sliding at the bottom of the wall. Usually, this slab goes in
much later.

Regards,
Bill Allen