RE: Architectural Engineering

From:	Michael D Zaitz [SMTP:mzaitz(--nospam--at)surfsouth.com]
Sent:	Friday, August 08, 1997 11:56 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Architectural Engineering

What is architectural engineering?  I have seen references to it
and
talked to some people but no one seems to know what it is.

Mike

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  Architectural Engineering is a term used
for education's that originate in a Polytechnic (PT) institution
that provides an education combining architecture and
engineering. The student generally does not declare his area of
expertise until after graduation and experience in either
architecture or engineering.
My opinion is mixed in this area, however, I feel that  PT
education's produce architects that have a better understanding
for structures, but are still not qualified to design structural
elements until they complete sufficient engineering work
experience. Unfortunately, this is not the case in my area where
architects with an Architectural license begin doing their own
structural design as soon as they can stamp plans.

A little education is a dangerous thing - sometimes!

Dennis Wish PE