RE: Architectural Engineering

From:     Michael D Zaitz [SMTP:mzaitz(--nospam--at)surfsouth.com]
Sent:     Friday, August 08, 1997 11:56 AM
To:  seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:  Architectural Engineering
What is architectural engineering?  I have seen references to it
and
talked to some people but no one seems to know what it is.
Mike
[Dennis S. Wish PE]  Architectural Engineering is a term used
for education's that originate in a Polytechnic (PT) institution
that provides an education combining architecture and
engineering. The student generally does not declare his area of
expertise until after graduation and experience in either
architecture or engineering.
My opinion is mixed in this area, however, I feel that  PT
education's produce architects that have a better understanding
for structures, but are still not qualified to design structural
elements until they complete sufficient engineering work
experience. Unfortunately, this is not the case in my area where
architects with an Architectural license begin doing their own
structural design as soon as they can stamp plans.
A little education is a dangerous thing - sometimes!
Dennis Wish PE

---------------------------

Yes, Architectural Engineering(ArchE) studies both strucures and
architecture.  But, from what I gattered, ArchE students are in this field
to become structural engineers, not architects.  They take the same if not
more structures classes than students obtaining a civil engineering
degree(CE).  While the CE student is taking water, transportion, and
environmental classes, the ArchE is taking architectural class.  Granite,
the CE student will know more about civil engineering in general (because
they get an introduction to each field), the ArchE will know more about
buildings in general because they are taking classes mostly in buildings
(whether it is in architecture or structures).  It is my opinion that a
person obtaining a degree in architectural engineering will know more than
just "a little".

mike