Re: z factor for crack control

I, too, have been frustrated with the z-factor for crack control,
particularly with footings where you have 3" clearance.

The criteria that I now use is to design these conditions based
on using grade 40 steel, even if I am using grade 60 steel.
However, I will use the limits for maximum steel based on grade
60.  My reasoning is that if grade 40 steel does not need to be
checked for the z-factor, then there is no reason to space steel
closer together than that required for grade 40.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona