Galvanized Box Nails and Common Nails

General question regarding use of common and galvanized box nails in plywood
shear walls.

Per UBC table 23-I-K-1 you are allowed to use either common nails or
galvanized box nails for the nailing of the plywood sheathing, with no
reduction  in design capacity based upon type of nail used.  For each size of
nail (8d, 10d, etc.), the box nail has a smaller shank diameter than the
common nail and a smaller shear capacity (UBC table 23-I-G).  Does this mean
that the plywood is the limiting factor, and if so why require the use of
Common nails which have tendancy to split wood more than the box nail.  If
the galvanized box nail is allowed for shear panels per table 23-I-K-1 why is
the box nail not also included for horizontal diaphragms (table 23-I-J-2).
 Does anyone have any information on this.

Thanks in Advance.

Michael Cochran