Residential Design Load

While performing the design for several residential structures, I've been
curious about  the recommended minimum design loading for stairs. In
particular, ASCE 7-95(as does BOCA, UBC, etc.) recommends a 30 psf live
balconies".  It also recommends 100 psf for stairs. In lieu of worrying about
this in the past, I played it conservative and used 100 psf for the stairs.
However, since  single family homes includes only 3.5 people(or is it 4.3?),
is the 100 psf loading too conservative?

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD