Re: Need opinion on soil condition

Tarek wrote:

> I just received a soils report for a project we are designing
> in south Orange County. It states that the plasticity index of
> the soil is 14. the 94 UBC pages 2-116 thru 2-119 show charts
> with ordinates starting at an index of 15. does that mean that
> the soil is non expansive ? maybe some of our soil brethern
> would care to answer.

Tarek,

Try looking at AASHTO T-248, it is a method to evaluate PVR based on
Atterberg Limits, Sieve Analysis, etc.
For most USCS "CL" soils with reasonable moisture contents, i.e., near
or above the PL, and PI < 15, swell potential is very small.

Soils in this PI range, with <60 -#200 sieve can be specified as inert
fill, provided moisture and compaction are monitored during
construciton.

Arvel Williams, P.E.