ACI Reinforcement in Moderate Seismic Seismic Zone - "Pedestal" Tie Spacing

In Pertrochemical Industry, there are a lot of conrete pipe supports
supporting heavy pipes, valves and sometimes equipment.

Pedastal are short stubby upright concrete members (unsupported height
to least dimension is less than 3) and are frequently designed as axial
compression members. Alternative way of design is as a cantilever beam.

ACI has tie/stirrup spacing requirements for columns and beams in
moderate seismic zone. Pedestals (h/d < 3) tie spacing is not stated in
the body of the text. My question is are the rules for column (h/d > 3)
tie spacing applicable to pedestal tie spacing ?

In my view, pedestals being stiff members, should be reinforced
according to ACI rules for columns. The local design contractor on our
project disagrees.

I appreciate your views on this. E-Mail kassamem(--nospam--at)aramco.com.sa

Eqbal M Kassam, P.E Texas