RE: CONC - Stripping of Deck Forms

From:	PRSE(--nospam--at)aol.com [SMTP:PRSE(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, August 13, 1997 7:09 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	CONC - Stripping of Deck Forms

I have a project in Santa Monica, which is 3 stories of wood
over a
structural concrete deck over parking.  The deck is specified as
4000 psi
concrete.  The contractor wants to know if he can strip the
forms after 7
days, assuming the concrete has reached full design strength.  I
am hesitant
to let him do this because I am afraid the concrete will not be
quite cured
enough and the early removal of the forms may result in some
deflection/creep
problems.  As an alternate he has offered to reshore at 7 days
with posts
spaced further apart than the original shores.  His goal, of
course, is to
save money by returning the rented shores as soon as possible.

Any thoughts and/or experience with this issue would be much
appreciated as
they are scheduled to pour on Friday and are looking for an
answer from me
shortly.

Thanks in advance for your advice / opinions.

Bruce Resnick

[Dennis S. Wish PE]  Bruce, concrete is not my strong suit,
however, I would go with your gut feeling. Even if cores were
done to verify the average strength, how can you be sure that
the cure is uniform throughout the entire area.
My opinion is to wait at least two to three weeks before you
even consider removing the forms. Why gamble with safety of the
occupants to save a few weeks in construction?