Re: ACI Reinforcement in Moderate Seismic Seismic Zone - "Pedestal" Tie Spacing

Egbal:

In my oponion, short stubby column will need more ties than long slender
column, since the failure mode for stubby column will be in shear.
Stiff stubby column will also attract more seismic force than long
slender column.  The Kobe's earthquake had demonstrated that stiff
highway columns will not work without adequate ties.  So you should tell
the contractor what you want in your design.  Don't let them dictate
your design.

Good luck,

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering