Re: Wood framed walls

<< Subj:	Wood framed walls
 Date:	97-08-13 16:28:24 EDT
 From:	eci(--nospam--at)quartz.nbnet.nb.ca (Dan Estabrooks)
 Reply-to:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
 To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

 Hello:

 I am looking for any  relatively current research into racking
 strength of wood framed walls, sheathed with gypsum board or
 plaster.

 I would appreciate any references.

 Thank you.

 D. Estabrooks

You should contact Ben Schmid or the SEAOSC adhoc committee on testing
methods thru the SEAOSC office.  Ben has done testing on wood stud walls with
gypboard and has been involved with this adhoc committee.  Currently the
allowable design value for gypboard is 30#/foot in Los Angeles City because
of the poor performance during the Northridge earthquake.  In my opinion the
allowable design value for gypboard should be zero.

The only testing of stucco walls I have heard of was done years ago and was
monotonic testing only.   I don't think anyone has published any information
on dynamic testing of stud walls with stucco.   I know that there is concern
regarding the appropriate dynamic testing methodology use for testing these
walls (number of cycles, sequence of displacements for each cycle, etc.)  I
know these are thing which the SEAOSC adhoc committee on testing has
reviewed.

Michael Cochran