Re: LOAD - Golf Tees

Bruce,

> Bruce Resnick wrote:
> We are designing a two-level tee line structure for a golf driving range.
> The question has come up as to what is the appropriate live load for
> such a case.  The Code does not address it.
> Since the tee areas are cantilevered 12' with a 7' backspan,
> the live load is a considerable issue.
>
> If anyone has desgined one of these, and can give us a design load precedent,
> I can probably sell that to the Building Department.

You might try using ASCE 7-95, Table 4-1, "Walkways and Elevated
Platforms" 60 psf live load, then use 100 psf for the "exit" areas.

> Lastly, should I trade my fee for time at the driving range?!

No.

Golfing is a waste of a good walk.

Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu