Re: Roark & other formulas for stress and strain

Dave,
I can't visualize what you mean  "A pipe is connected, via a bolted
flange, to a square plate, centered on the pipe".

Do you mean "A pipe is welded normal to a plate (similar to a column on
a base plate) and this plate is bolted to another plate."?

This sounds like a good candidate for FEA.  Why don't you want to use
it?

Also, keep in mind that the location of the bolts is critical to the
calcs.  The situation will produce prying action on the bolts and the
edges of the plate - similar to a hanger connection - see AISC, 9th ed,
ASD, pg 4-90.

Lewis C. Midlam
http://www.lcm.com