Re: Roark & other formulas for stress and strain

> Do you mean "A pipe is welded normal to a plate (similar to a column on
> a base plate) and this plate is bolted to another plate."?

Yes, similar to a column on a base plate (I should have used that
analogy),  except the pipe column is not welded to the base plate.
The pipe is welded to a flange (as one sees on pipe in refineries or
treatment plants), and the flange is bolted to the square plate.
Also, the plate is simply-supported around its edges, not just bolted
at four corners.

> This sounds like a good candidate for FEA.  Why don't you want to use
> it?

FEA is more expensive, I'm not sure it's worth the cost, I'm not
sure we know the boundary conditions well enough or could model
them accurately, and  something  similar to Roark or Bjilaard's work
would be a good first or second pass at the problem.  And it would
give some point of reference to evaluate FEA, if we do FEA.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Thanks,

Dave