Re: Basement Walls

We recently encountered the same difficulty of additional soil loading from
an EQ with a partially underground parking structure in Puerto Rico.  The
only direction I was able to find was from "Foundation Analysis and Design",
Fourth Edition, by Joseph Bowles.  It's at the end of the Lateral Earth
Pressere chapter and there is only 2 pages but at least it's something.  I
consulted our project's geotech about the proposed approach and was met with
cautious acceptance.  His other suggestion was to use the Mononobe-Okabe
equations for active and passive pressures.  These are also given in Bowles.

It is interesting that the only 'expert' on the subject was the architect who
balled me out for pursuing such a ridiculous idea.

We have decided to use the procedure given by Bowles.  I would be very
interested in other suggestions or other sources of information or
experiences on this subject.

If anyone wants me to fax them the pertinent pages from Bowles, let me know.

Byron