Column Web Doubler Plate on both sides

To satisfy seismic panel shear requirements and utilize existing steel
stock the local contractor is proposing to use columns with thin webs
and reinforce it with doubler plate at both sides of the web. This is at
the moment connections and specifically to satisfy seismic column web
shear requirements. The site is in High Risk Area (UBC Zone 3).In some
cases, doubler plates thicker than column web is welded on both sides.

I think this is fundamently incorrect and there may a lot of welding
problems associated with doubler plates on "BOTH" sides of a thin column
web. Previously, I have used doubler on one side only and also the
literature shows doubler plate on one side only.

Folks, what are your views ? Is the contractor technically incorrect and
why? Are there any welding related problems? I sugested to the
contractor to use "Haunches" but see some resistance. Also, I believe,
according to Blodgett, there are also welding problems with welding
doubler on one side only.Any comments?

Thanks

Eqbal M Kassam