Re: Ethics 101

Without comment on each situation, or what I would or would not do in
each specific situation, I can tell you for sure that if you took the
position of "reporting" each of these situations to what one might
consider the appropriate authority, you would soon get the reputation of
being a "trouble-maker", and no one would hire you for anything, you
would be out of work.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, this is just a fact of what would
happen.

Issues like these do come up with some regularity.  I find it best to
talk directly with the people involved and let them know what the right
thing to do is, or what their liability might be in certain situations.
It usually can be worked out.

Legally, I really have no idea what my OBLIGATIONS are in each of these
situations.  I imagine that the State license regulations has some vague
language in it that could be interpreted to mean that I must take action
in these situations.

My basic philosophy is that if I encounter a situation that presents an
immediate life-safety threat,, I report it to the Owner and Building
official, and let them deal with it appropriately.  Once, after
finishing an inspection on some older roof structures that showed signs
that failure could come at any time,  I literally ordered the building
to be evacuated until temporary shoring could be put in place.

Lynn