$$ CHARGES FOR B &S PLAN CHECK CORRECTIONS

     I have recently noticed at the back of soil reports for my projects that
some soil engineering firms include language that says the report scope of
services does not include time for responses to government agency comments,
and responses will be at additional hourly rates.    It used to be a soil
report was never questioned here, but since the earthquake, some
jurisdictions have been having soil engineering consultants plan check the
submitted soil reports.
     This seems appropriate to me.
     My standard practice has been to include building department plan check
comment responses as part of the original fee. The problem is , some
jurisdictions regularly approve my plans with minor or no comments while
others can create hours of engineering time and days of drafting time (
$1000s).  On the other hand, I have plan checked over 5000 plans in 13 years
as a contract plan check engineer so i know this is not unique to me.
     I think it would be fair to follow the soil engineers and charge hourly
for plan check comments but I can see resistance to change.
     I would really appreciate hearing what others are doing.
     Most of my work is type V and III.

     Thanks in advance.

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA