Re: $$ CHARGES FOR B &S PLAN CHECK CORRECTIONS

Tom,
I recently have added the following language, or something similar, to
my
agreements and have had no negative feed back regarding.

"Any structurally related omissions disclosed during the plan check
review process will be addressed within the terms of the above fee
schedule.  Any clarifications not requiring substantive structural
design changes will be an equally shared expense for CCC and the
client.  There shall be a "xx"  hour accommodation for clarifications
prior to charging for such work."

The "xx" number of hours becomes a function of the scope of the job
and the propensity for severity of scrutiny  I have previously
encountered with the reviewing jurisdiction.  From my experiences in
the Seattle, area it seems the plan checks performed by contract
checkers are the by far the most rigorous and most time ($$)
consuming.  For the type of work I do, "giving" 2-4 hours seems to be
a fair amount of time.

It can be difficult to collect when I  work with Architects who tend
to overly blame themselves for any plan check item.   Often the
architect will agree to jump through any hoop, however high,  and at
no charge to the client.   Knowing I have budgeted the couple of hours
to respond to the plan check makes that loss of billing time a little
easier to digest.

Regards,
Mark Codispoti