Re: $$ CHARGES FOR B &S PLAN CHECK CORRECTIONS

Tom:
The Architect does not have any "extra" money to pay you for these
additional charges, unless he takes it out of his fee.  The Owner
doesn't want to be hit up for additional money either.  Both the
Architect and the Owner want to know what  it will cost them up-front.
They do not want to be nickled and dimed to death for every little
extra.  You need to cover this plan check fee in your basic fee, and
"average" it out over all your projects.  If you know in advance that
plan check will be an issue, then you can allocate for it in your fee up
front.  When we do school or hospital work, we know that we are in for a
tough plan check ahead of time, and our fee reflects this.  Military
work reviewed by the Army Corp can also be tough at times.
Do your best to cover the plan check fee in your fixed fee for the
project.  If you become a whiner with your hand out for extra money all
the time, no one will want to work with you.

Lynn