Re: $$ CHARGES FOR B &S PLAN CHECK CORRECTIONS

I have added the statement "time spent on plan check items will be billed
separately" on my contract for residential structures.  I use to not charge
for this in the past, because I assumed that structural comments by plan
check would be of substance, and therefore my responsibility.  I no longer
have this opinion due to hundreds of residential planchecks comments that I
have recived that were a total waste of time.  I have attributed this to the
fact that I practice in rural areas of California and, in general, the small
building departments lack personnel with experience.  The thing that I find
fustrating with this problem is that if the plancheck person is not a
competent engineer (most of the time they are not even engineers), then why
are they reviewing the calcs' to begin with?  I noticed a previous post
about plancheck ethics, So I assume that I am not the only one that spend
too much time answering off base questions.

I think that this also ties in with the P.E. vs S.E. discussions that have
been going on.  Structural calculations AND the checking of structural
calculations can be done (in CA) by people who might have very little
experience with structural engineering.  Guess which side of this issue that
I am on?

Randy Vogelgesang S.E.
South Lake Tahoe