Re: Diaphragms -Reply

Gregg Schrader wrote:

> Would 31-1 make any difference for a single story bldg since T=0?

No, it doesn't and the Wpx/sumWi fall out since they are the same so...
you are left with Fi which is .183Wpx.

I am reviewing some calcs in which  all four walls are figured into load
tributary to diaphragm and this number is used for both building loads
and diaphragm loads. Consequently, I felt the diaphragm shears to be
overly high.

I do use all four walls for building loads but use only walls
perpendicular to load for diaphragm loads. Seeing it done the other way
made me pause for a moment.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering