Re: Plan Check Ethics & an extended riff

Niel,

I just wanted to add a little more info to your rumors,

>Check the last issue of the Board of Registration's publication.  One of
>the Tahoe civil-civils who was trying to be a civil-sturctural got a slap
>on the wrist.

I am familar with this case as you are, and although I do not feel
comfortable giving the details, I can say that the complaint was a result of
a law suit that in reality had little to do with the work of this engineer,
but rather the failure of premanufactured trusses that were designed by
others.  The the boards action was agreed to by the engineer to avoid a long
and costly battle.

>At the time of his problems, all county plan checks for the Tahoe area were
>being done at Tahoe, rather than sending them down the hill.  The rational
>was that the down the hill plan checker was to tough.
>
>You know, all the 150 psf snow loads+ and 110 mph winds.  Nothing, at least
>that I know of at that time, was being checked by an engineer at the county.

"The rational was that the down the hill plan checker was to tough."

Not even close. Several years ago there were some problems with a
planchecker that had to do with his style (or lack there of).  The question
at the time was not that this person was to tough, but that he was not able
to deal with the local engineering commmunity in a professional and
competent mannor.

>Another rumor I heard from a local Tahoe S.E. was that the Tahoe
>contractor's were going to the civil-civils for their designs because they
>didn't make the contractors put in hold downs.

Guilty on this one. I might be the source of this rumor.  I have been told
by some ex-clients that they go elsewhere because I spec too much hardware.

Randy Vogelgesang S.E.
(past president, Tahoe Engineers, Architects and Surveyors)