Re: Retaining Wall Question

<<You have brought up something that I have wondered about.  When designing
for a sloped backfill, do you include the vertical component for friction
and for overturning (less conservative)? >>

In our office we disregard the vertical component of the backfill on the
wall, because most of our wall designs specify a gravel backfill immediately
behind the wall to aid in drainage.  We feel that the gravel eliminates the
friction between the soil and the wall.

Bruce Resnick