Re: Retaining Wall Question

While specifying gravel backfill is noble (the most common reason for
retaining wall failures is the inability to relieve hydrostatic pressure),
the vertical component I referred to in my previous post occurs at a
vertical plane at the heel of the footing. This vertical plan basically
divides the soil that will rotate with the retaining wall footing and the
soil that remains behind. Within this plane, there is soil to soil
frictional resistance equal to the tangent of the angle of internal
friction times the horizontal component. This condition exists unless your
gravel backfill extends beyond the footing heel.

Regards,
Bill Allen