RE: Steel - Beam with bent compression flange

Michael D Zaitz wrote:

We have a frame for dumping of trucks for a client wher the compression
flange the beam is bent approximately 1/2".  This is a multispan
condition, and the deformation occurs on the bottom flange of the beam
about 4" from the support which would be a brace point.  Under my worst
inflection point occurs 8 ft away and from then on the beam is contimuous
ly braced.  How would you check the beam for the deformed area.  One idea
(which I think is conservative) is to take the piece of the flange that
is bent and treat it as a column with a 1/2" eccentricity.  Note the
flange is bent on each side of the web (if anyone has seen wide flange
columns hit by forklifts where the flange twists they would have a good
picture of what this looks like).

Anyone have other ideas on how to check this?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Typically I would add a stiffener or stiffeners at the bent flange locations
in order to resist the inward or outward component of the compressive force
since it is no longer linear (draw a free body diagram if needed).  I would
then check the stress at the bent section do the changed section modulus but
in your case the stresses seem pretty low.

Good Luck!!

Lanny Flynn