Re: FEE Survey

Bill:

"In Germany they first came for the Communists,
   and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
   and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
   and I didn't speak up becaues I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
   and I didn't speak up becaue I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me -
   and by that time no one was left to speak up."

-- Pastor Martin Niemoller

Speak up! Engineers are becoming a vanishing species!

At 12:17 PM 8/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Wow, the heat must be getting to us all. If you cannot do the project for
>$3,000, then put in a proposal for what you think it will take. If XYZ
>engineering down the street will do it for $2,500, does that mean that you
>need to submit a proposal for $2,495?
>
>At some point we have to either stop doing this or stop complaining about
>why we don't get paid enough.
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen
>
>----------
>> From: Thomas Chiu <Tomchiu(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net>
>> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
>> Subject: FEE Survey
>> Date: Wednesday, August 20, 1997 10:50 AM
>>
>> Hi, I know that the standard structural fee is about 1% for a medium to
>> large job. I got a call from an owner who would like to add a 6,000 sq.
>> ft. office inside his distribution warehouse. The structure will be type
>> V 2-story under the existing warehouse enclosure.  Now, 1% of 6,000 x
>> $50 = $3,000.  There is no way I can do the design for that kind of fee.
>> As I can tell, most of you are from a small office. Consider this a fee
>> survey for a small size commercial job, I would like to find out what
>> would be considered a reasonable fee (design & construction observation)
>> for this type of job.
>>
>> Any comment will be appreciated.
>>

>> Tom Chiu, SE
>> Thomas Engineering