Re: FEE Survey

Percentage of construction cost fees for small jobs produces rediculous
estimates.  It's pretty easy to simply estimate the actual design scope line
by line, drawing by drawing, and task by task, to get a real-life number.

I find it easier to estimate small jobs based upon the number of drawings
req'd than using percentages.  An average design fee of about
$1200-$1500/drawing for DESIGN seems to usually work for small green-field
jobs in our office (civil and structural engineering).
Retrofits are usually more complex and more expensive (i.e. $2000/drawing).
Field investigation, surveys, geotech studys, and other
design disciplines must be custom estimated for every job.  IMHO,
observation is best done on a T&M basis.

Respectfully,

Joe McCormick