Re: Plan Check Ethics & an extended riff

BVeit(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> I have often wondered why realtors make more than we do, for less liability,
> less know-how, and less work.  Not to knock realtors -- I think they deserve
> what they are paid, it's just that we deserve more.

I know a civil/structural guy who just threw in the design work towel
and is going to become a Realtor specializing in land development.
Personally I feel engineering is rewarding, but the key to getting paid
for your time is-like in every other field-SPECIALIZING in something,
anything.  Being too many things to to many people is bad from a fee
standpoint (not enough repetition from job to job), quality standpoint
(too much learning curve on each job) and liability standpoint (might
overlook something or not keep completely up to date)

Not specializing is bad for engineers, realtors, contractors and
everybody else I can think of.

norm

--
Norm Brudigam C.E.

Bay Engineers Inc.	Specializing in the Evaluation
3399 Mt. Diablo Blvd.	and Repair of Existing Buildings
Lafayette, CA 94549	Civil/Structural/Geotechnical
(510) 284-3300x20	Engineering
FAX   284-3365