Re: Diaphragms

<< 1. Do any of you use formula 31-1, section 1631.2.9 for calculating
 >diaphragm load in single story buildings?
 >
 >2. When figuring diaphragm load do any of you use the weight of
 >diaphragm + weight of walls tributary to diaphragm which are
 >perpendicular to seismic load?
 >
 >3. When figuring diaphragm load do any of you use all four walls
 >tributary to diaphragm?
 >
 >Consider this as my survey of the week :)
 >
 >Mark D. Baker
 >Baker Engineering >>

Dear Mark:

See UBC 1604.4
This code section requires 20 psf dead load in addition to the diaph. loads
to be
added in seismic and vertical design. I would use the same D.L. in
residential
and commercial construction. If you want to be very accurate you can
calculate
the D.L. of each wall in each direction and dump 50% to the roof diaph. and
50% to the floor diaph. (if multy story).
Also see  UBC 1628.1 #2
"Where partition load is used in the floor design, a load of not less than 10
psf
shall be included."
This 10 psf is used per floor and per diaph. That means 10 psf to the roof
and 20
psf for the second or other floors. (10 psf to floor below + 10 psf from
walls below).

All interior partitions and  walls are some how connected to the floor and
roof diaph.

Happy calculating,

Ara Maloyan  P.E.