Re: Ethics 101

MGriffi119(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Very Easy. Unqualified YES!!! to all but the shipping scenario. As
> engineers,
> especially structural engineers, our Primary Duty is ALWAYS to
> maintain
> public safety. It would seem not even considerable to say otherwise.
> At a
> minimum, the building official and THE OCCUPANTS should be informed as
> to the
> expected outcome.

I don't want to throw cold water on the idea of structural engineers
running around yelling "the sky is falling" to building department and
building occupants, but you need to be VERY CAREFUL when you issue such
a statement.  Such a statement will probably cause people to take action
(occupants moving out, building dept. closing a building, etc.), and if
it turn out you were WRONG in your declaration, you will be subject to
lawsuits the magnitude of which will be overwhelming.Declaring a
building a hazard should only be done after careful consideration and
analysis.  If you make such a declaration and you turn out to be wrong,
the personal consequences could ruin you.

Lynn