RE: Retaining Wall Question -Reply

I hate to side with the lawyer, but off the top of my head I'd say that
it is the engineer's responsibility to cover the waterproofing behind a
retaining wall - in specs or on the drawings.  I don't think that it is
right to say it is the architect's job.  For the case you cite in an
outside condition, I would call it dampproofing - probably the ol' three
coats of bitumastic paint.  Cheap insurance.  This would be especially
important to attend to with a coat of plaster on the exposed side.  I
believe this would fall into the same category as assuring that there is
a perforated pipe behind the wall tied into a storm drain line (or
provide weep holes) to alleviate hydrostatic pressure.  It's part of the
total system design.

Kent Estes, S.E.