Re: Enercalc's Structural Engineering Library Survey

Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:

> I would also like to take this opportunity to
> pose a survey type question
> to the list service although I do not expect
> Enercalc to respond to the
> results of the survey. I am curious how many
> design engineers out there
> would buy and use a spreadsheet version (Excel)
> of Enercalc's Structural
> Engineering Library based on current codes, etc.
> This would allow each
> design engineer to customize their spreadsheets
> to their own practice.

I love Excel spreadsheets, however, it has been my
experience that sheets of the type that you are
talking about can be rather involved, and the
developers tend to use macros and uncommon
functions a lot.  If I'm going to try to modify
such a sheet, I want to know that the sheets
mechanics are what I think they are.  If I have
developed the sheet myself from scratch, then I am
already aware of the tricks and pitfalls.  Another
persons work, however, could demand a lot of time
to figure out, especially if its got a lot of
macro work.

In short, it would be nice, but it might not prove
easy for me to modify.

ON THE OTHER HAND.  There are times when I REALLY
WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO LOOK AT THE MECHANICS AND
FORMULAS OF THE COMPUTER CALC!  If my bosses hand
calc does not match what the black box says, I
might lose confidence in the program.  On more
than one occasion, I have stopped using one or
another tool, such as a tool in the SEL library,
because I could not justify the results by hand
calc and could not determine where I and the
program were diverging.

So I vote YES, but more for a different reason.

Stan Johnson
BS, EIT, Check comp results against hand calcs?
What a novel idea  :)