Re: Enercalc's Structural Engineering Library Survey

I used Enercalc's software for retaining wall designs from '84 to '89. Back
then their retaining wall design was a 1-2-3 spreadsheet. What a mess! I
remember recieving several newer versions, each permitting more complex
modelling with increasing numbers of input variables. All new releases were
very buggy (I understand that tradition continues to today). I remember the
frustration of inputing the same design parameters on the new and older
version and getting substantially different results.  Thinking I was
somewhat the Supercalc expert, I'd start to dig through the cell entries to
follow the calculations to see where things derailed. Again, what a mess. I
remember hidden cell formats and column widths set to 0. All the while
you'd be jumping all over the place.

Don't get me wrong. I love spread sheets. But more precisely I'm
comfortable using MY spreadsheets. I know how they were developed and I
take care to make the calculation process is documented and easy to follow.
I've found it very difficult to become comfortable using [the typically
undocumented] spreadsheets crafted by others because of the time it takes
me to go through it cell by cell checking its formulae. It is nice however
to look at other spreadsheets to be exposed to the styles and techniques
others use to solve problems.

Brent Koch, P.E.