RE: Ethics 101

These were great ethic's questions. There are a couple of
straight forward answers.
Currently, I have clients holding up payments to me because I
uncovered problems in construction during structural observation
and reported (as indicated in the code) to the building
official. The remedial measures were rather extensive and the
contractor, working directly for the building owner, convinced
the owner in layman's terms that I was being too picky and that
the corrections were not necessary. He also convinced the
architect that I was just trying to create a market to gain more
fee's from the project.

Whenever I receive a call now to inspect a structural problem, I
clearly indicated to the potential client that the inspection
will lead to a report which is to be issued to the local
building official. I also make it clear that if there is a
problem, it will be reported rather than concealed. If he does
not like this, he can phone another engineer.
Admittedly, I have lost business because of this as well as
obtaining a reputation for being overly conservative. I have
also gained a stronger relationship with my clients that
appreciate the honesty and have more faith in the value of my
designs for them.

We are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't profession.
Our reports, unless supported by mathematical evidence, is a
professional opinion which can be disastrous to our business if
we don't make a publicly popular choice. Personally, I'd rather
be out of this business than attending funerals for those that
may have been saved by my report.

Dennis Wish PE

BTW, we all make mistakes. We are just so afraid of litigation
that most of us are not willing to own up to the mistake.
Recently, I had designed a garage header for a custom home.
After construction the architect called me in stating that the
header was failing. I checked my calculations and called the
architect back to assure him that the beam was designed
correctly. I asked him to have the contractor verify the grade
of lumber, look for defects and to verify if there was a crown
in the beam that may have been placed downward. I informed him
that for a sixteen foot span, the allowable deflection was
around L/240 or 0.8" for live + dead load. Being in the desert
on a nice day, the deadload deflection calculated at less than
1/2".
At this point the architect said that the noticed deflection was
closer to 1/2" and that was unacceptable to the owner. The wall
was a double wall design and the contractor installed another
beam adjacent to the original one.
Now the owner is refusing to pay part of my fee for the
deflection problem which was designed within code allowable
limits. Who is going to win this one?

Dennis