RE: DRFT - Dedicated Drafters vs. Engineers Drafting Their Own Stuff

I followed this post to a small degree, but was too busy
drafting to put my $0.02 in.

In a small office, there is little choice of who does the
drafting. You may choose to use an outside service, however, I
find this to be very disappointing. After eleven years in a one
man office, I can CAD draft infinitely faster than sketching.
Sketching details does not identify dimensional differences that
may matter, such as the placement of a bolt in relation to the
end or edge clearances in wood. By the time you spell this out
for the draftsman, you might as well do it yourself. Of course,
this depends upon your level of CAD intelligence.
Possibly, having started with architectural roots, I have a
higher standard for the way my CAD drawings look when plotted. I
am very particular about sheet organization, line weights and
text styles. I don't trust a draftsman to understand sheet
composition unless he has the talent for it.
I remember when I first started to work in Aerospace. I worked
under an older (70 years old semi-retired) architect who,
historically, was a church architect. I was so enthralled by his
lettering style, yet I could not reproduce that classic script.
Outside of the appearance of the sheet, there is a question of
balancing all of the necessary information. Unlike hand
drafting, CAD drafting is very precise dimensionally, and this
is to our advantage. I tend to show every nail, make sure every
member is dimensionally correct, and that everything fits as
intended. I believe that hand drafting tends to "Flub" much of
this by leaving it up to the builder to clean up.
CAD drawing also help to identify where the problems are likely
to occur - if only because you can zoom in and out to see down
to the fractions of an inch.  In a recent post, I did not feel
comfortable with a wood ledger connection that placed the load
eccentric to the wall. With the help of CAD, I was able to play
with a certain Simpson connector and found out that I could
create a custom connection. I don't think I would have liked to
try one scenario, toss it away, redraw on a clean sheet, toss
away etc. With CAD, simply move the objects around, add or
remove connectors, bolts, nails etc - a much faster cleaner
method.

Soooooooo! My vote is to let the engineer figure out the details
and draw them. If they are used to working a problem alone, they
will be more productive by doing it at the same time that they
sketch. If they are not proficient on CAD, your decision is
made, leave it to someone else.

That's my long opinion.
Dennis Wish PE