Re: FEE Survey (Reply to R Marmaduke's Insurance Post)

I posted a question some time ago about this same topic.  It went something
like has anyone else out there been able to secure general liability
insurance and not have E&O insurance.  The response I got was the same as
you concluded (ie. not
possible to get general without E&O) or that we were doing something
unethical in not having E&O insurance.

Well I went and did some more research for those that might be interested.
To get a million dollars of E&O insurance would cost between $10,000 and
$16,000.  This represents between 5 and 8 percent of our very small firm's
(2 full time employees, sometimes some low level temp employees) gross
receipts.  This was not doable.  So I sent my local insurance agent
to see if he could find general liability insurance.  Note that insurance
agents that specialized in dealing with engineers and architects like
Dealey Renton had told us that such a thing did not exist.  But our
neighborhood broker found a policy through a company called Crusader
Insurance Company.  We got an office police covering our property and
general liability.  It cost quite a bit more than our last general
liability policy, but still quite a bit less thanthe E&O Insurance.  It
will remain to be seen if the policy gets renewed next year (no general
liability policy in the last 8 years or so has been renewed after one
year).

Hope this is of interest.

Tom Schaniel
BILL JENKINS ASSOCIATES