RE: DRFT - Dedicated Drafters vs. Engineers Drafting Their

From:          "Dennis S. Wish PE" <wish(--nospam--at)cyberg8t.com>
To:            "'SEAOC Listservice'" <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Subject:       RE: DRFT - Dedicated Drafters vs. Engineers Drafting Their Own Stuff
Date:          Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:21:18 -0700

Dennis,

On August 24, you wrote

  I have a higher standard for the way my CAD drawings look when
  plotted. I am very particular about sheet organization, line weights
  and text styles.

  Dennis Wish PE

I was very interested in your thoughts regarding CAD drafting by
engineers.  I have tried to use CAD while designing, but it is not a
natural feeling.  I tend to think about line weights instead of beam
sizes.  I feel like I'm trying to drive a car  while designing a
structure.

I do feel like engineers KNOW what should be on the drawing and would
like to feel independent of drafting personnel.  How long did it take for
you to feel comfortable designing while performing your own CAD work?
What percentage of your time do you spend on CAD?  Do you layout your
projects in CAD before running any calcs?

Any additional thoughts would be beneficial.

Sincerely,

Michael Ritter, PE