Re: $FEES, Capitalism, etc.

----------
> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
> To: SEAOC Newsletter <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
> Subject: Re: $FEES, Capitalism, etc.
> Date: Monday, August 25, 1997 10:37 PM
> Let's admit taht the real thread here is how to get more money for the
> same work. It's not about free trade because it favors some engineers
> over others. And it isn't about free markets, because of the demand that
> engineering be restricted to people who behave only as those people in
> the business think proper.

I don't have any problem at all admitting that I believe structural
engineers should be paid more for the same work nor that people that are
now allowed to practice structural engineering should be eliminated from
doing so. In defense of my "anti-trust" statements, the purpose of my
proposal is in the benefit of public safety. Currently, we have to compete
for work with unqualified people which force us to submit proposals for
fees lower that we should. Throwing out the issue of the hourly rate by
profession debate, most of us would like to commit more time to a project
than we do because of this.

Regards,
Bill Allen