Re: Unreinforced Foundations

Assuming the foundation is unreinforced, it should be analyzed for
compliance with the requirements of Chapter 22 of ACI318-95 (a.k.a. UBC
Section 1922) "Structural Plain Concrete."

Have you observed any distress in the foundation itself of the suported
structure? If so, a determination of the degree of distress is warranted to
decide whether repairs are necessary. If not, well, if it ain't
broke.........

And of course, considerations should also be given to the adequacy of the
framing to foundation connections for lateral force transfer, assuming the
home is located in an area of at least moderate seismic risk.

Brent Koch, P.E.
Livermore, CA
brentk(--nospam--at)tdl.com