Re: Masonry: Epoxy-injection for shear repair?

Sandy,

Thanks for giving credit to all of those who participated in the effort
to develop the LA std.  I did not state nor did I intend to infer that
it was solely Mike Schuller's invention.  I said he "... developed a
method of grout injection."  And he serves as a good resource.

Mike has solid experience in using NDT methodology to determine
applicability, he has developed a good grout mix design, and he has done
allot of research into grout injection.  Mike's company has also
developed a resource library on masonry repair which includes many
references from Europe (and California).  He is a good resource for the
grout injection research conducted at the Univ. of Colorado and at the
Univ. of Texas @ Austin.

I think the most important contribution is Mike's effort to have this
methodology of repair considered outside of Southern California.  The
methodology is worth consideration in lower seismicity areas and for
other reasons (ie water permeability, wind, gravity loads, freeze thaw
durability, etc.).

As long as credit is being given, it should also be recognized that
grout injection has been used in Italy, France, Yugoslavia, and by Wayne
Ruth of Hunt Valley Masonry of Baltimore, Maryland.  There is also
published literature that predates 1987.  Filler and Kreigh published "A
Guide to Pressure Grouting Cracked Concrete and Masonry Structures with
Epoxy Resins" in 1973.  I am sure that even this augmented list of
credits lacks very important contributors.  Everyone that has used or
specified the methodology has added to and embellished the process.
Everyone who has published or posted their findings in a national or
international forum adds to that process even further.

Thanks for posting the credit list for the work that was done in Los
Angeles.  I did not intend to diminish the contributions from Southern
California.

Someone tell me how much to bill Schuller for the inadvertent
advertisement.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
Black & Veatch