RE: MASN - CUTTING OPENING IN EXISTING CMU WALL

I have seen a detail using double angles with the vertical legs of the
angles at the center of the CMU wall.  Cut blocks are installed on both
sides of the angles.  I hate angles in bending, however, so I might opt
for two C8 channels (height of a block course) back to back using the
same approach.  You could also use a continuous plate welded to the
bottom of the channel bottom flange  to help support the cut infill
blocks if necessary.  (If angles are used, the bottom horizontal leg can
be selected to perform the same function.)  Hopefully I'm making sense.
(Note that I am also assuming that a double door frame exists to cover
the bottom angle leg or channel bottom flange and that adequate bearing
is provided either side of the door opening for the steel elements.)
Hopefully this helps.

Jim Hagensen, SE