Re: [Fwd: passive pressure for retaining wall]

Dave Anderson wrote:

> JohnOttCE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>
> > The logic of using the method as set forth on page 256 falls apart
> when the
> > key is placed at the extreme end of the heel of the retaining wall.
> This
> > office places the key back from the toe of the retaining wall
> approx. at the
> > 1/3 point of the base of the retaining wall footing. Reason: This is
> a place
> > of high vertical pressure exerted from the retaining wall onto the
> underlying
> > soil and yet is not so close to the toe as to allow the soil to
> creep away
> > from the high pressures.
> >
> > I would be interested to know the level of acceptance with the local
> Building
> > Officials. This method of increasing the "allowable" passive soil
> pressures
> > is not accepted to my knowledge. Therefore it is an interesting
> theory that
> > may actually occur but in the real world of getting a plan checker
> to agree
> > with you may not hold up.
> >

> Thanks for both John and Liu for replying to my email, but I'm looking
> for
> more opinion about that , the problem the example exist in one of
> hieghest
> respectful book and author in engineering field in USA and the world
> I can not say it is wrong ,at same time I'm as engineer I have my own
> thought and education I can not accepted blindly , and some other
> engineer
> ask me why not using that means someone is been using it, I like to
> hear
> from the auther himself I know he retired now but I contact his office
>
> they supported him but never give explination where he got from
> so please if any one has any information about that write it down
>
> I will posted again until i get enough reply.
> Thanks
>
>  Dave  Anderson P.E.

I have the second edition of Amerhein's book and the solutions for
passive sliding resistance do not appear odd by any means. In his
example the passive is figured based on the depth of soil in front of
the key and starts at zero at the adjacent ground surface. Sounds pretty
right to me.

Interestingly, he extends the vertical wall steel into the key, but it
graphically appears to be on the wrong side for bending resistance in
the key. ... Maybe that's why he published another edition!

Barry H. Welliver