Re: [Fwd: passive pressure for retaining wall]

Generally speaking, passive resistance is considered immobilizable for
some depth (usually the frost depth) below the ground surface.  It,
therefore, seems that Amerhein's approach may be unconservative.

Also, it behooves to make very conservative assumptions in estimating
passive resistance, because a significant wall movement/rotation has to
occur before the full passive resistance gets mobilized.

Unless the wall foundation is fairly deep below the toe side ground
surface, I ignore passive resistance completely.

Rajendran