Re: Adobe Research

We carried out some experiments on scaled models (0.6 scale)
of adobe wall elements with different retrofitting measures.
The different retrofitting techniques that were tested are:
(1) introduction of lintel band, (2) corner reinforcement, and
(3) reduction of roof weight, which was originally quite high
due to the prevalent construction practice.  In general, we
found very significant increase in capacity to sustain base
motions.  Copies of our technical report should be available
from the Asian Development Bank (we can't give it out).

If you want any more information, please contact me directly.

Ravi Sinha

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 MJSLAYSMAN(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> I currently have several projects that concern restoration of adobe
> buildings.  I have done this before but I am always looking for additonal
> information.  Does any one have any information regarding constructon (new
> and old) using adobe?  I am very interested in restoration in high seismic
> risk areas.  I had heard that Stanford was doing research on this.  Has any
> of it been published?
>
> Any help or direction would be appreciated.
>
> Mel Slaysman
> mjslaysman(--nospam--at)aol.com

Ravi Sinha, Ph.D.		email: rsinha(--nospam--at)gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in
Assistant Professor		       rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in
Department of Civil Engineering	       Phone: (91-22)-578-2545 Ext. 7336
IIT, Powai, Bombay - 400 076, India    Fax: (91-22)-578-3480, 578-3557